|Last Modified Time: 08:20:27 AM Tue, 27 Jul 2010 |
|Dr. Jorge Gardea-Torresdey|| Associated Profiles |
|DEPT CHAIR-CHEMISTRY, Editor-The Journal of Hazardous Materials, Dudley Professor-Chemistry and Environmental Science and Engineering, Chair-Chemistry|
| 500 W. University Ave., El Paso, TX 79968 PHYSICAL SCIENCE BUILDING, Room No.: 201 |
| 915 7475359 faculty website |
| Environmental Chemistry, Phytoremediation of toxic metals and metalloids, Air biomonitoring |
| Postdoctoral Fellow||Environmental Engineering||WERC/Department of Energy||1988-1990|
| Ph.D.||Environmental Chemistry||New Mexico State University, NM||1988|
| M.Sc||Analytical Chemistry||New Mexico State University, NM||1985|
My research projects focus on...
- Environmental Chemistry
- Phytormediation of toxic metals and metalloids
- Bioproduction of metal nanoparticles
- Air biomonitoring
- Water cleanup using nanoparticles
- Use of spectroscopic techniques in environmental chemistry
- Use of phytohormones and chelating agents to improve the phytoremediation potential of plants
- Effects of Nanoparticles in the Environment
The focus of our research is to elucidate…
- The mechanisms of heavy metal adsorption by biomass.
- The mechanisms of heavy metal uptake by living plants.
- The mechanisms of Bioproduction of metal nanoparticles.
- The recovery of metal nanoparticles from the biological matrix.
- The use of nanoparticles to solve environmental health problems.
- The biochemical changes on metal-stressed plants.
- The improvement of metal phytoremediation.
| Year||Publication|| Type|
de la Rosa, G. Parsons, J.G., Martinez-Martinez, A., Peralta-Videa, J.R., Gardea-Torresdey, J.L. (2006). Environmental Science and Technology 40(6), 1991-1996.
Montes-Holguin, M.O., Peralta-Videa, J.R., Meitzner, G., Martinez-Martinez, A., de la Rosa, G., Castillo-Michel, H, Gardea-Torresdey, J.L. (2006). Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry 25 (1), 220-226.
Sawalha, M.F., Peralta-Videa, J.R., Romero-Gonzalez, J., Gardea-Torresdey, J.L (2006). Journal of Colloid and Interface Science 300(1), 100-104.
Parsons, J.G., Tiemann, K.J., Peralta-Videa, J.R., Gardea-Torresdey, J.L. (2006) Environmental Science& Technology (2006), 40(13), 4181-4188.
Mokgalaka, N.S and Gardea-Torresdey, J.L. (2006). Applied Spectroscopy Reviews 41(2), 131-150.
- Editorial Advisory Board of the Environmental Science and Technology journal, 2006
- Nominated for the American Association for the Advancement of Science, 2006
- Research Mentorship Award, October 2005
- Member of the Governor of Texas' Emerging Technology Committee, 2005.
- Academy of Medicine, Engineering and Science of Texas Invited Fellow, 2005.
- Distinguished recognition at the Lawrence Hall of Science, University of California Berkeley, 2004
- American Microchemical Society's Benedetti-Pichler Award, 2004
- Member of the International Advisory Committee of Southern and Eastern Africa Network of Analytical Chemistry (SEANAC), 2003
- Exceptional Leadership Award, UTEP-Environmental Science and Engineering, 2003
- Border Environment in the Paso del Norte Region Outstanding Award, 2002
- Dudley Professorship Awarded at University of Texas at El Paso, 2001
- University of Texas at El Paso Distinguished Achievement Award for Research, 2001
- Editor, The Journal of hazardous Materials, 2007-Present
- 2009 SACNAS Distinguished Scientist of the YEAR Award